Big Blog no. 2: One Last Music Culture

     Wow! The last blog. I never thought this day would come, I am just kidding. I have thoroughly enjoyed this class and all of the information that I have taken in! We have learned so much, from the Native Americans and their pow wow dances to the Aboriginal Australians and their Didgeridoos. Though we have studied many musical cultures, we did not have time to cover one of the most interesting (In my opinion), the musical culture of New Zealand, so I will do that today.     

What does the folk music of New Zealand sound like?

    The most popular folk music or "traditional" folk music is from the Maori people! The Maori people originated from Eastern Polynesia, so naturally, the music of New Zealand is highly influenced by their foundational roots from Polynesia! Most of the music is accompanied by traditional dances that are performed along with the music.                                                      The terrain of New Zealand                

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Types of Maori Music: 

- Waiata: This music is the organization of the "softer side" of the music, it includes songs that would be sung to children (lullabies) as well as love music. Most of this music is produced using wind instruments. 

- Moteatea: This music is essentially the repetition of a melodic line. It is normally based around one single note. If this music was interrupted it was considered to cause a bad omen by the tribe, so there were stricter "guidelines" to this music, or it was conducted in a more formal manner. 

- Karanga: This is the most formal of Moari music, it is the opening to a welcoming ceremony that they perform for a group of visitors or another tribe. Only women perform this music and dance. This music honors the recently deceased. Originally this music was played to help the tribes decide whether they were going to be friendly towards each other, or if the music was to turn into a war cry or war song. 

This information was gathered on Wikipedia
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of instruments did the Maori use to make their music? 

    I think that this is one of the most important questions when it comes to a countries/population's musical culture. The instruments are so much more than just an instrument because a lot of time the instruments were brought in or imported by other countries that colonized the land, or perhaps the instruments are made with local materials that the people have access to - and this can also tell you a lot about a culture. 

- Maori's instruments are considered to be "children of the Gods" 

- Instruments are not only used for physical music but also for spiritual wellbeing, for example, the flute (koauau) is used to incite humor for people as well as summon spirits. 

Putatara: This instrument is made out of a large conch type shell called the trition, when it washes up on the beach it is considered to be a gift from the God of water or the sea for the people! This instrument is often used when a child is born as well as a call to arms. 

Pukaea: This instrument is incredibly hard to explain, but it is used to welcome people or call people for big announcements, it was also used to make war calls.Hue: Th

Hue: In my opinion, one of the most interesting of their instruments. Its spiritual connection is Hine Pu Te Hue, it is compared to a calming storm and is said to have a very calming noise and "vibe" or "energy". It is created by drying and hollowing a gourd out. They are decorated and engraved into, as seen below. 

This information was gathered from the Museum of New Zealand.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How are traditional styles of New Zealand's music incorporated into modern culture? 

    Originally what got me interested in the music of New Zealand is their Rugby team: The All Blacks. They are bad (you know what)!! Before each game, they perform the Haka! Which is also a traditional dance/chat that was preformed pre-war! or during any large important event. It has since been repurposed to intimidate sports opponents! They have an impeccable record and win 3/4 of their games! Which is super understandable considering the circumstances. 



Comments

  1. Hey Cameron! I loved the topic you choose and the background you gave on it. I also really enjoyed the Karanga music video it was so beautiful to look at and the song itself was beautiful, but it also made me a little sad in a way. And the Haka dance is pretty intense, but very cool at one point I thought there was going to be a dance battle. Great Blog Cameron! I hope you have an amazing break! stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I really enjoyed reading your blog! One of the things that I found captivating about your blog is the hue. I have never seen an instrument like that and it sounds really calming. I have seen the Haka dance but I never knew the history of it. Overall, I was engrossed with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you for sharing your blog with me! Not going to lie, I would have never guess this information. The instruments really caught my eye. The conch shell instrument sounds like it will be very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cameron! I really liked the way that your blog is set up, I thought that the conch shell instrument that you included was so beautiful and interesting. I thought it was investing to read about the Karanga music, I bet there is something so touching to see a dancing specifically for a loved one, mostly in that setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you set you blog up to explain the music culture of New Zealand. The first video is so intriguing. It reminds me of a song that should be on Brother Bear. The instruments seem really cool especially the hue. I have never seen an instrument that looked like that. I also really liked watching the New Zealand All Blacks perform the haka. I remember when I first saw a video of them in the 8th grade. I was a little intimidated but very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This was great! The music was all so relaxing. I searched up a few examples of Moteatea and it's so amazing that that's based around a singular note. I honestly never would've guessed or noticed, though that might be because I don't know that much about the composition of music. Also, I really enjoyed the Karanga video!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music And Family

Big Blog no.1: American Roots Music